Wombatq's Treehouse

Another addition to the clutter that is the Net!

Friday, October 28, 2005

Hey all.
It was the big return to running weekend. The Detroit Free Press marathon was over the weekend, Will and I signed up to run the 5K that is part of the festivities.We got up at Dark-thirty and headed downtown. We ambled about the area, checking out the fast folks and the wheelchair-hand cycle athletes. We got behind the half-marathoners and seeded ourselves to the middle of the 5K’ers.It took about four minutes to hit the mats and we spent most of the first half mile swerving through the walkers. We picked up a little steam and started setting a good pace for the first mile. Then it happened. The months of his soccer playing came home to roost. He dropped me! He just pulled a few steps ahead at about 1.25 miles, and just kept heading away. At the 2 mile aid station, he was a good 300m in front of me. I could still see his hat in the crowd ahead, so paranoid dad didn’t go nuts. But he was clearly faster than I was. He even stopped to tie his shoe. I stopped to talk while he did it and took his hat and gloves. After that, it was “Bye” and I didn’t see him again until the finish. I hit the line with a gun time of 38 something.He found me right after I crossed the line and started to cough up a lung. We found some snacks, and watched the men’s winner finish and the hand-cycle folks as well. It was a lot of fun, and I’d better find some speed or I’ll never be able to beat him to the bagels.

This weekend there's another 5K, and I hope I can at least keep up with him. I'd like to see him run well with others there to see it, and I've done a bit of training this week, so I can hopefully finish a little closer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home