Wombatq's Treehouse

Another addition to the clutter that is the Net!

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Do manners make the rider? I spent a good portion of Sunday doing a pleasant little ride with my Dad. The Blue Water Ramble has a short (40 mile) ride that runs through part of Michigan and Ontario. The vast majority of the riders are the weekenders on comfort bikes and whatnot. I, in the interest of stay with Dad, rode my mountain bike instead of the CX or road bike. I noticed one thing: the weekenders are far for polite than some of the roadies.

The SOP for group rides is to call out "On your left" as you pass someone. We passed a lot of folks out for a nice ride, and were able to chat. (Secret weapon for this, have a bike bell that has a really friendly ring to it, much like and ice cream truck bell.) A pleasant "good morning" works. You also get some of the road folks going by. Most are friendly, will banter a little and even be happy to let you latch on and get pulled for a mile or so. But then there are those with the manners of Freds. "You are beneath my cycling station so I shall not even acknowledge your presence. I will blow by you and my hard ride is no less important than any prorider." Get a grip. Is the simple two finger "hello" lift that shattering to your focus?

In addition, I did the ride with my orange palmed gloves. It seems they show up pretty well. The SAG driver said he could see them about 1/2 away even as I was riding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home